A lot of times I’ll wake up in the morning and I just don’t feel good. Maybe I didn’t sleep well, I’ve been sick lately, or I just feel like swollen eyes, puffy whale. This negative energy often discourages me- especially when it’s time to pick out what I’m going to wear for the day. So here are a couple of tips I use whenever I feel like “everything…. just looks tragic on me today.”
1. Wear monotone: I like to wear all black or all white (you can choose any color you want).
2. Add a hat, seriously this tip works. You instantly ooze chicness, especially when added to a monochrome look. Throw a structured or floppy hat for an uptown feel or go casual in a slouchy beanie for those messy hair days when dry shampoo just won’t cut it.
3. Match your hat to your bag or even to your shoes. (You can play around, but by matching these key accessories it gives you a more curated, put together look).
4. Always have a go-to outfit that you look and feel good in. For me, I normally have a black/white uniform, but you pick anything that fits your fancy. This can be a casual black dress that you could layer with tights, boots, and a jacket for the winter or just a leather jacket with a pair of espadrilles for the warmer months. Just have a simple look that is easy and quick to upgrade with accessories, just incase you push snooze a few too many times one morning!
5. A secret trick: if you want to make your legs look longer, wear one color from your hips to your toes. I use this trick a lot by wearing black skinny jeans, leather pants, or leggings. I pair them with black boots/booties. By wearing all one color with no breaks to show skin or another color (so sandals, espadrilles, ballet flats, and heels don’t work as well) you are elongating the appearance of each leg to the toe.
6. My last tip is the one I personally use the most. I always like to have a pair of sunglasses on me. At all times. Even when I’m going to dinner and it’s only light outside for 20 more minutes, I will just stick a pair in my purse. I can not count how many times I’ve been in pictures squinting or even with my eyes closed, but I had sunglasses on so know one had a clue! This is a little obsessive (I know, I admit it) but when traveling I like to keep about 3-4 with me in my purse/carry on. I mostly do this because I have horrible dark circles/bags under my eyes when I don’t get enough sleep *thanks jet lag*. These also come in handy on flights when you don’t want anyone to bother you while you are trying to rest. Another reason I travel with so many is just in case my bags get lost for a few days, I am adequately prepared. Who needs clothes or a toothbrush, at least I’ll have my shades, haha.
I hope you enjoyed these tips and can incorporate them into your style!